Postdoc Position in Bioinformatic Analysis of
Neural Development in Nematostella
There is a vacancy for a 2 year Postdoc position at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (www.sars.no/) in the research group headed by Dr. Fabian Rentzsch. The position is funded on a TOPPFORSK grant from the Norwegian Research Council, and is available from May 2018. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen, and is partner of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) www.embl.de/. The place of work will be at the Sars Centre.
About the project/work tasks:
The Rentzsch group studies neurogenesis in the cnidarian Nematostella vectensis with the aim to understand cellular, molecular and evolutionary aspects of nervous system development (see Richards and Rentzsch, Development, 2014 and 2015). The project employs computational analyses of differential gene expression (of different populations of neurons and of single cells) and of ATAC seq data to characterize the transcriptional changes that control the development of neural progenitor cells into differentiated neurons. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to further develop the project in line with his/her interests. If desired, contribution to the experimental validation of the computational analyses is possible in collaboration with a postdoc.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within informatics or molecular biology or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience in differential gene expression analysis of high-throughput sequencing data and a strong interest in gene regulatory networks, developmental biology or stem cell biology is desired.
- Ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with others in a structured manner.
- Personal communication skills to interact with the scientific environment are required.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
Applications in English must include:
- A cover letter that includes brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- List of publications
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor for the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
Please send your application with attachments electronically via JobbNorge by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” (choose English page) – see here. If your diploma, grade transcripts and other documentation are in a language other than English, you must upload certified translations of these (diploma and grade transcripts in a Scandinavian language are acceptable). Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail only will not be considered.
Closing date for application: March 18th, 2018
Further information about the position can be obtained from Group Leader Dr. Fabian Rentzsch, tlf +47 55 58 43 04, email firstname.lastname@example.org.