Postdoctoral Fellow Position
Neural Development in Nematostella
There is a vacancy for a 4 year postdoctoral fellow position at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (www.sars.no/) in the research group headed by Dr. Fabian Rentzsch. The position is funded on a TOPPFORSK grant from the Norwegian Research Council, and is available from May 2018. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen, and is partner of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) www.embl.de/. The place of work will be at the Sars Centre.
About the project/work tasks:
The Rentzsch group studies neurogenesis in the cnidarian Nematostella vectensis with the aim to understand cellular, molecular and evolutionary aspects of nervous system development (see Richards and Rentzsch, Development, 2014 and 2015). We have used RNA-seq, microarrays and in situ hybridizations to identify molecularly defined subpopulations of neurons. In the advertised project we aim to characterize in more detail the development of these subpopulations and how they connect to other neurons and effector cells. Main experimental approaches are transgenic reporter constructs and CRISPR-Cas9 mediated genome editing for functional studies. The successful candidate has the opportunity to contribute to the further development of the project in line with his/her interests.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within biology or molecular biology or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience and a strong interest in developmental biology, evo-devo questions and molecular biology methods is desired.
- Ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with others in a structured manner.
- Personal communication skills to interact with the scientific environment are required.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
Applications in English must include:
- A cover letter that includes brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- List of publications
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor for the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
Please send your application with attachments electronically via JobbNorge by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” (choose English page) – see here. If your diploma, grade transcripts and other documentation are in a language other than English, you must upload certified translations of these (diploma and grade transcripts in a Scandinavian language are acceptable). Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail only will not be considered.
Closing date for application: March 18th, 2018
Further information about the position can be obtained from Group Leader Dr. Fabian Rentzsch, tlf +47 55 58 43 04, email firstname.lastname@example.org.