By entering a competition on the Node, entrants (or voters for a particular entrant) together with any other member of the public involved (all such persons being referred to as ‘entrant’) hereby agree to be bound by these rules as amended from time to time, and by any competition instructions.
It is the responsibility of entrants to keep themselves informed as to any updates of these rules, and they acknowledge that any failure to comply with these rules could lead to their disqualification without reasons being given or opportunity for challenge.
1. The Judges shall, unless provided otherwise in the competition instructions, be the Publisher for the time being of The Company of Biologists Ltd., or his/her nominated representative(s), and “Judges” herein shall mean such person or persons.
2. The general principle is fairness: entries or votes should be made or cast fairly. If, in the opinion of the Judges this principle has been flouted, they can declare any entries or votes invalid, void the competition, change the competition instructions, or adjust the entries or the voting to achieve fairness, as they think fit. The competition instructions may carry a specific indication, but in the absence of such an indication, only one entry/ vote per entrant (or household, computer or other unit as appropriate) will be permitted.
3. The decision of the Judges over every instance shall be final and unchallengeable. Judges shall have the right, at their discretion, to change the rules of a competition while it is running if it appears to them that it would be equitable or appropriate to do so, including the extension of the closing date whereupon there will be an announcement of any such extension at the first reasonable opportunity. No correspondence will be entered into or comment issued on any matters concerning any competition, and no reasons given for any decision made by the Judges.
4. Where images are submitted, these must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have won a prize in any other image competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject (where applicable) and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. Entrants must warrant that the image they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
5. Prizes must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
6. All competitions are open to everyone, regardless of nationality.
7. All participants must be aged 18 or over unless any other age restriction is specified or implied.
8. Specific rules for individual competitions will be available from launch of the competition until one month after the competition’s closing date.
9. This competition is not open to employees of The Company of Biologists Ltd. or any person directly involved in the organization or running of the competition, or their direct family members.
10. Entries must be made in accordance with the competition instructions. They are invalid if they are received any later than the specified closing time (which shall be London date and time).
11. You must provide The Company of Biologists Ltd. with the required details if you wish to enter this competition. The Company will only ever use your personal details for the purposes of administering this competition, and will not pass them on to anyone without your permission. Proof of submission or of posting of a form will not constitute proof of delivery and no responsibility will be accepted for lost, corrupted, delayed or mislaid entries.
12. Players must comply with all rules to be eligible for the prize. Ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently will be automatically disqualified.
13. The winner will be chosen in accordance with the competition rules.
14. Other prizes, where available, will be awarded in accordance with the order of priority as stated in the individual competition.
15. The Company of Biologists Ltd. will not be liable for any circumstances beyond its reasonable control that prevent the competition being fulfilled, a winner or winners being chosen, or any prize being taken up or fully enjoyed by a winner. The Company excludes liability to the extent permitted by law for any cost, claims or losses howsoever caused that arise by reason of any person’s entry into a competition or the award, or non award, to them of a prize. In the event of any error, whether printing, technological or otherwise, which affects the competition in any way, the Judges reserve the right to administer the competition as though the error had not occurred.
16. If any winner of a competition is unable to take up a prize for any reason, or if The Company of Biologists Ltd. has not been able, after making reasonable efforts, to make contact with the winner, The Company reserves the right to award that prize (without notice to the first winner chosen) to an alternate winner, in which case the first winner chosen shall not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever. The Company of Biologists Ltd. shall not have any liability in such eventuality.
17. Names of prize winners will be available on receipt of a request enclosing a stamped addressed envelope to: Marketing, The Company of Biologists Ltd., Bidder Building, 140 Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0DL, UK, and this information may be published on the website at the Judges’ discretion.
18. This agreement is governed by the laws of England and Wales.
19. This competition is administered by The Company of Biologists Ltd.