There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (www.sars.no) in the research group headed by Dr. Pawel Burkhardt. The position is for a period of 4 years and is funded on the Sars Centre core budget. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen and is partner of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) (www.embl.de). The place of work will be at the Sars Centre. The starting date is negotiable but preferably no later than 01 September 2018.
About the project/work tasks:
The Burkhardt group combines comparative biological systems in the laboratory to understand when and how the first synapses and neurons evolved. The group is particularly interested in studying the origin and evolution of synaptic proteins (Burkhardt et al, 2011 PNAS; Burkhardt et al, 2014 MBE; Bhattacharyya et al, 2016 eLife). We are looking for a highly self-motivated and enthusiastic Postdoctoral Research Fellow with interests in evolutionary biology, neurobiology and cell biology. The project will focus on the characterization of synaptic protein homologs in sponges and ctenophores to better understand the evolution of first neuron-like cell types in animals. The successful candidate will undertake research with the possibility to use a variety of techniques, ranging from super resolution immunofluorescence and electron microscopy, biochemical methods (protein purification, co-IPs, and analytical ultracentrifugation), mass spectrometry to X-ray crystallography to study synaptic protein homologs in sponges and ctenophores. The successful candidate will work in close association with the group leader and other lab members with the aim to eventually contribute to the further development of the project in line with her/his interests.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded
- Strong motivation/enthusiasm to perform research at an internationally competitive level
- Practical experience in biochemical techniques (protein purification, Co-IPs) and with different fluorescence imaging techniques is highly desirable
- Specific experience with sponges or ctenophores is beneficial, but not essential
- The ability to work both independently and to cooperate with others in a structured manner is essential
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 4 years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution. Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A professional, challenging and international working environment.
- Well-equipped, modern laboratories and facilities
- Salary at pay grade 57 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 1) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 490.900. Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (SPK)
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application in English must include:
- A cover letter of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for at least two reference persons. One of these must be the the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- CV including most relevant (i.e. first author) published papers and pre-prints
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge (https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/150623/postdoctoral-research-fellow-positon-evolutionary-origin-of-synapses-and-neurons).
Application Deadline: 02 May 2018.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Group Leader Pawel Burkhardt, tlf.: +47 55 58 43 57, email: Pawel.Burkhardt@uib.no.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.