- Jennifer Fish and Richard Schneider wrote about their recent paper studying jaw size evolution using quail and duck.
- Groups at the MPI-CBG in Dresden and Fritz Lipmann Institute in Jena showed that integrin and thyroid hormones promote expansion of progenitors in the developing neocortex.
- And a recent Cell paper uncovered the structural basis of why different auxin response factors are able to activate only specific gene subsets.
Model organism series:
Great additions to our ongoing series this month!
- A day in the life of an Arabidopsis lab, by Narender Kumar (Louisiana State University).
- A day in the life of an ascidian lab, by Alicia Madgwick and Marion Gueroult-Bellone (CNRS, Montpellier).
- A day in the life of a sea urchin lab, by Tanvi Shashikant (Carnegie Mellon University).
- A day in the life of a butterfly lab, by Leila Shirai (IGC Lisbon).
- Alison Woollard considered her experience presenting this year’s Royal Institution Christmas Lectures.
- Simon Bishop wrote about his internship at the Naked Scientists, bringing developmental biology to the radio.
Also on the Node:
- We reposted an article by SDB president Martin Chalfie, with his advice on getting the postdoc you want.
- Mirana wrote about how a travel fellowship to visit a collaborating lab helped her establish her own lab.
- Development made a short movie about the history of their covers and the beauty of developmental biology.
- and the Node will be at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory conference on Avian Model Systems.
a WordPress rating system