A 60% permanent position as Facility Technician is available from July in the newly established research group of Dr. Pawel Burkhardt at the Sars Centre. Work in the group focuses on the evolutionary origin of synapses and neurons, using choanoflagellates, sponges and ctenophores as main model systems. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen, and is partner of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
The main responsibilities of the position will be to assist in the building and daily running of a sponge and ctenophore facility, including:
- Culturing of algae and copepods for feeding animals
- Feeding and breeding of animals
- Operation and maintenance of the animal facility
- Maintenance of equipment and building of new equipment to improve functioning of the facility
- Periodic field collection of sponges and ctenophores
- Some weekend duties might be requested
- Essential requirements for the successful candidate are to be able to demonstrate reliable working habits, independency, initiative and the ability to interact in a productive manner with other group members
- Prior experience with building and/or maintaining animal facilities is required
- Experience maintaining algae and/or zooplankton cultures is desirable
- The minimum formal requirement is a high school education
- The applicant must be able to communicate (written and spoken) in English and Norwegian
- A challenging position with interesting tasks in an internationally acknowledged scientific environment
- Salary as Senior Research Technician (“seniorforskningsteknikar”, code 1513) from grade level 40, based on a formal assessment of civil service seniority and qualifications. Currently equal to NOK 376.000
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens pensjonskasse, SPK)
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
- Application letter stating your motivation for applying to this position and why you feel you are a good candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
Send your application electronically via JobbNorge by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” – see here. Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail only will not be considered.
Application deadline: 12 June 2018
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Group Leader Pawel Burkhardt, tlf.: +47 55 58 43 57, email: Pawel.Burkhardt@uib.no.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.