Closing Date: 15 March 2021
(Based in Cambridge, UK)
After 8 very successful years with Development, Dr. Jane Alfred has decided to leave her position as Executive Editor. If you have editorial experience and are looking for a challenging role on a prestigious journal this position may be of interest to you.
Applications are sought for the role of Executive Editor for Development, our flagship journal serving the developmental biology community.
Joining an experienced and successful team, including Academic Editor-in-Chief Olivier Pourquie, this is an exciting opportunity for a talented scientific editor to make a significant contribution to one of the major journals in the field. Development publishes primary research articles, reviews and topical comment, and reaches out to the wider community through its innovative blog, the Node.
Applicants will have a broad knowledge of developmental biology and stem cells, significant editorial experience and will ideally have already held an influential editorial role.
Core responsibilities include:
• Editorial management of the journal in collaboration with the Editor-in-Chief
• Working with the full team of academic editors on journal initiatives
• Management of in-house editorial and administrative teams
• Commissioning, handling peer review and developmental editing of material for the front section of the journal
• Training and support of editorial staff working on the front section
• Overseeing manuscript submission and dealing with any ethical issues that arise during the handling of primary research papers by the academic editors
• Editorial management of the Node
• Representation of the journal at international conferences and within the wider scientific community
• Creative involvement with marketing activities
Essential requirements for the job are a broad knowledge of and interest in science and the scientific community, willingness to travel, enthusiasm, commitment and excellent interpersonal skills.
This is a senior position, with an attractive salary and benefits, and represents a unique career opportunity on a prominent and highly successful journal.
The Company of Biologists (www.biologists.com) is a not-for-profit organisation, publishing four distinguished journals in the biological sciences: Development, Disease Models & Mechanisms, Journal of Cell Science and The Journal of Experimental Biology – and a new journal, Biology Open, will be launching in Autumn 2011. The organisation has an active programme of charitable giving for the further advancement of biological research, including travelling fellowships for junior scientists, contributions to academic societies and conferences, and the company runs a series of exclusive scientific workshops.
Applicants should send a CV by email to email@example.com along with a covering letter that states their salary expectations and summarises their relevant experience and why they are enthusiastic about this opportunity.
Applications should be made as soon as possible and by 29th July.