Location: Cambridge, UK
Closing Date: 14 April 2021
The Company of Biologists and its journal Development are seeking to appoint a new Community Manager to run its successful community website ‘the Node’ (https://thenode.biologists.com) and the journal’s social media activities.
Launched in 2010, the Node is the place for the developmental biology community to share news, discuss issues relevant to the field and read about the latest research and events. We are now looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person with fresh ideas to maintain and develop the site.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
- creating and commissioning content, including writing posts and soliciting content from the academic community, societies and other organisations
- providing user support (including editorial support for authors) and ensuring site functionality on a day-to-day basis
- steering the development of the site from both a creative and practical perspective
- maintaining and developing Development’s and the Node’s presence on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- contributing non peer-reviewed content to the journal such as research highlights and interviews
- representing Development and the Node at international conferences
- contributing to the Company of Biologists’ outreach activities
- research experience in a relevant scientific field, ideally a PhD in developmental or stem cell biology
- demonstrated ability to write for an online audience and/or produce social media content
- clear understanding of the online environment as it applies to the scientific community
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- strong networking abilities online and in person
- experience with WordPress
- experience with additional media e.g. video or podcasting
This multifaceted position is an exciting opportunity to develop an already successful and well-known site, engaging with the academic, publishing and online communities. The Community Manager will work alongside an experienced in-house team and external IT partners, as well as with the journal’s international team of academic editors. Additional responsibilities may be provided for the right candidate, including contributions to wider Company projects. Currently, staff are working remotely, but post-COVID the role will be based in our attractive modern offices on the outskirts of Cambridge, UK.
The Company of Biologists (https://biologists.com) exists to support biologists and inspire advances in biology. At the heart of what we do are our five specialist journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science, Journal of Experimental Biology, Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open – two of them fully open access. All are edited by expert researchers in the field, and all articles are subjected to rigorous peer review. We take great pride in the experience of our editorial team and the quality of the work we publish. We believe that the profits from publishing the hard work of biologists should support scientific discovery and help develop future scientists. Our community sites provide researchers with opportunities for networking and the sharing of research and related information. Our grants help support societies, meetings and individuals. Our workshops and meetings give the opportunity to network and collaborate.
The Company of Biologists is an inclusive organisation and we believe that everyone has a contribution to make. We want all our employees to feel included, valued and appreciated. We believe in equality of opportunity for all staff and encourage applications from all individuals regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status and citizenship.
Applicants should send a CV along with a covering letter that summarises their relevant experience (including, if possible, links to online activities and/or samples of science writing), why they are enthusiastic about this opportunity, and their current salary level.
Applications and informal queries should be sent by email to email@example.com as soon as possible (we will consider candidates on a rolling basis) and no later than April 14. Interviews will take place virtually, and we may request written tests in advance of any interview.
Closing Date: 14 April 2021