DanStem is seeking a highly motivated and self-starting Cell Culture Specialist.
Responsibilities: The Cell Culture Specialist will manage the Stem Cell Culture Platform (https://danstem.ku.dk/platforms/stem-cell-culture/) at DanStem, a self-contained shared-resource facility dedicated for the maintenance of experimentation with mouse and human stem cells. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work closely with DanStem scientists, platform specialists, laboratory manager and management to maintain and develop the cell culture laboratory facility and services
- Introduce, maintain and enforce clear operating guidelines and safety in GMO1 and GMO2 cell culture labs
- Inform on and support stem cell culture activities for facility users, e.g., introduction to basic cell culture techniques, troubleshooting, safety considerations, aliquoting and preparing reagents, testing for mycoplasma, karyotyping, maintaining equipment, monitoring and refilling stocks, defrosting freezers, and resolving conflicts between users
- Order materials, equipment and furniture, negotiate and follow-up with vendors and service providers, and handle invoices
- Establish new service agreements, annual service of equipment, and equipment upgrades
- Organize and maintain cell cryostorage and backup storage system
- Evaluate operations and coordinate upgrades and repairs and follow-up, including communication with the building operations department and assessment of proposed repairs
- Respond to alarms, providing assistance by phone or in person
- Substitute for the DanStem Laboratory Manager in case of holidays or illness
Qualifications, competences and experience: Candidates are expected to have at least a Master’s degree in natural or health sciences. A PhD degree is advantageous. In addition, we are seeking a candidate who has experience in embryonic stem cell and/or iPS cell culture, genetic manipulations and differentiations, and
- Has a scientific background in developmental or stem cell biology, experience with embryonic stem cells and/or organoid culture as well as working in GMO1/2 laboratories
- Has demonstrated success working in research service facilities; managerial experience in this or another type of organization is a strong advantage
- Has experience in project management and a strong ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and frequent deadlines
- Develops good relations in a multi-cultural research environment, and excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Works successfully with persons from a variety of organizations and professional levels
- Is proactive, innovative, analytical, goal- and solution-oriented
- Enjoys new challenges
Employment conditions: We proudly offer a stimulating, multifaceted and international environment of high scientific and societal impact; the possibility for continued education and training; collaborative and creative colleagues; and the opportunity to work with departments and centers at the University and greater community.
The employment can begin in Maj 2020 or upon agreement with the chosen candidate. The place of work is at DanStem, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3B, Copenhagen. The position, at the University of Copenhagen, will be in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement between the Danish Government and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). To the salary is added a monthly contribution to a pension fund according to the collective agreement, and a supplement can be negotiated, depending on the candidate’s experiences and qualifications.
Inquiries are welcome to Executive Director Henrik Semb (email@example.com).
To apply, please submit your application, in English, via http://employment.ku.dk/administrative/ by clicking “Apply Now”. Applications must include a statement of motivation, curriculum vitae, and copies of relevant diplomas. Only complete applications in English, submitted online by the deadline will be accepted.
DanStem highly values diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
The closing date for applications is March 15 2020