Location: Cambridge, UK
Closing Date: 5 July 2021
The Company of Biologists – the not-for-profit publisher of Development – is recruiting for an exciting role in science communication, enhancing the community content on our journal websites and growing our social media presence in China through our WeChat channel. We publish five important journals that serve the biological research community. All have effective marketing and a good social media presence. The Science Communications
Officer’s remit is to extend our community engagement, increase awareness of our charitable activities and build on our connections with early-career researchers.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated team player to support us in this initiative. Working with experienced marketing and editorial teams, you will be responsible for accurate and engaging short-form content for the journal websites, generating WeChat content for our growing China-based audience, and writing stories about our grant
recipients. We are open to new creative ideas.
Core responsibilities include:
• engaging the scientific community through the journal websites and social media channels
• generating dynamic content ‘snippets’ to draw in readers
• developing our WeChat channel to engage China-based researchers
• measuring usage and online behaviours to assess and guide strategies
• working with the marketing and editorial teams on other community engagement content such as video interviews and educational materials
The successful applicant will have:
• a science degree, ideally in a field relevant to one or more of our journals
• experience with scientific communications such as social media, marketing or outreach
• the ability to write accurate and engaging summaries for the non-specialist
• experience with a web content management system to create and publish web content
• experience with metrics (such as Google Analytics)
• excellent written and verbal communication skills
• confident networking abilities and strong interpersonal skills
Experience with audio-visual editing tools and knowledge of the Chinese language would be beneficial, but not required.
This is an exciting opportunity within a well-established publishing company. The role is based in our attractive modern offices on the outskirts of Cambridge, UK.
The Company of Biologists (biologists.com) exists to support biologists and inspire advances in biology. At the heart of what we do are our five specialist journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science, Journal of Experimental Biology, Disease Models & Mechanisms and
Biology Open – two of them fully open access. All are edited by expert researchers in the field, and all articles are subjected to rigorous peer review. We take great pride in the experience of our editorial team and the quality of the work we publish. We believe that the
profits from publishing the hard work of biologists should support scientific discovery and help develop future scientists. Our grants help support societies, meetings and individuals. Our workshops and meetings give the opportunity to network and collaborate.
The Company of Biologists is an inclusive organisation and we believe that everyone has a contribution to make. We want all our employees to feel included, valued and appreciated. We believe in equality of opportunity for all staff and encourage applications from all
individuals regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status and citizenship.
To apply, please send your CV by email to email@example.com along with a covering letter that states your current salary, summarises your relevant experience and explains why you are enthusiastic about this opportunity.
Applications should be made as soon as possible and by 5 July (late applicants may be considered). Interviews will take place in July.
Closing Date: 5 July 2021