June in preprints
Posted by the Node, on 6 July 2016
In this new feature, we conduct a trawl for preprints to find the latest developmental biology and related research from the previous month.
Scientists are increasingly using preprints as a way of releasing research to the community without having to wait for the peer review process, and we want to promote this content here. Several sites host biology preprints, most notably bioRxiv, but also arXiv, f1000 Research, and PeerJ Preprints (for more info on preprints, ASAPbio has a useful FAQ page).
This month we found content from bioRxiv, arXiv, F1000 Research and PeerJ spanning developmental biology research, including investigations into cell fate in preimplantation mouse embryos and worm larvae, a new technique for bi-allelic gene knockouts, and a method for making midbrain-specific organoids.
- Networks that link cytoskeletal regulators and diaphragm proteins underpin filtration function in Drosophila nephrocytes. , ,
- Drosophila sensory cilia lacking MKS-proteins exhibit striking defects during development but only subtle defects in adults. , , , , , ,
- A Facilitated Diffusion Mechanism Establishes the Drosophila Dorsal Gradient. , , , ,
- KIF1A/UNC-104 transports ATG-9 to regulate neurodevelopment and autophagy at synapses. , ,
- Antagonistic roles of Polycomb repression and Notch signaling in the maintenance of somatic cell fate in C. elegans. , , ,
- Dynamic changes in Sox2 spatio-temporal expression direct the second cell fate decision through Fgf4/Fgfr2 signaling in preimplantation mouse embryos. , , , , , , , ,
- Kinetochore Microtubules indirectly link Chromosomes and Centrosomes in C. elegans Mitosis. , , , , , , , , ,
- Probing cytoplasmic viscosity in the confined geometry of tip-growing plant cells via FRAP. , , , , ,
- RNase reverses segment sequence in the anterior of a beetle egg (Callosobruchus maculatus, Coleoptera). Jitse Michiel van der Meer
- Brachiopods possess a split Hox cluster with signs of spatial, but not temporal collinearity. , , , , ,
- Nanog fluctuations in ES cells highlight the problem of measurement in cell biology. , , , , , ,
- Trace elements during primordial plexiform network formation in human cerebral organoids. , , , , , , ,
- Rapid, one-step generation of biallelic conditional gene knockouts. , , , , , , , , ,
- A novel approach to derive human midbrain-specific organoids from neuroepithelial stem cells. , , , , , , , ,
- Zika Virus in the Human Placenta and Developing Brain: Cell Tropism and Drug Inhibition. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- Hipk is required for JAK/STAT activity and promotes hemocyte-derived tumorigenesis.
In silico modelling
- The Evolutionary Trade-off between Stem Cell Niche Size, Aging, and Tumorigenesis.
- Conditions for cell size homeostasis: A stochastic hybrid systems approach. César Augusto Vargas-García, Mohammad Soltani, Abhyudai Singh
- Collective motion of cells crawling on a substrate: roles of cell shape and contact inhibition. Simon Kaspar Schnyder, Yuki Tanaka, John Jairo Molina, Ryoichi Yamamoto
- Not Communicating science? Aiming for national impact. Andreas Prokop and Sam Illingworth
Is there anything we missed for June? Anything in the list that catches your eye? Let us know in the comments section.